Utah Bus Accident Frequently Asked Questions

Have you been hurt in a bus accident?

If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a bus, there are many things that will be very different from a “regular” car accident.  First, the bus is probably owned by a corporation and driven by one of their employees. This means there are several layers of liability to deal with.  Because of this added level of complexity, you will probably want help in resolving your case.

Whether you were a bicyclist, pedestrian, in a car, or other vehicle, establishing who is at fault can be very complicated in these situations.

You probably have questions:

Everyone has concerns and worries following an accident, especially if they are injured.  Some of your questions might be:

  • Who will pay my medical bills?
  • How do I get my car fixed?
  • Where do I go for medical treatment?
  • What documents do I need to save?
  • How long will this process take?
  • Do I even have a case?
  • Who could I have a case against?
  • What should I do next?

At the Advocates Law, we are very happy to talk to you about your situation.  The call is free.  If we do not take your case, we can at least give you some direction and ideas about how to proceed with your claim.

Claims against an organization such as Utah Transit Authority (UTA), the governmental entity that operates our local transit along the Wasatch Front, can be very difficult, and it takes a lot of work to build a good, winnable case. It also takes the right set of circumstances.  We will be frank and honest with you about whether you have a case or not.

Are the laws different for buses?

A bus, or any other form of paid transportation (taxis, shuttles, trains, etc.) accept fees in exchange for transportation.  Because they collect fees, they are required to have certain licensing and training to operate their vehicles.  Transit and bus drivers are held to a higher standard of safety.  Failing to meet those standards can lead to accidents where fault can be assigned to the driver, the entity that provided the training, or the service personnel who maintain the vehicles.

In Utah, there is a statute of limitations for accident claims.  Typically this is four years from the date of a bodily injury accident, and three years for a property damage claim. However, when it comes to bus or mass transit accidents, the statute of limitations is different.  Be sure you don’t jeopardize your chance of getting compensated by waiting too long before you call the Advocates.

Where do I find answers?

There are so many elements to an accident/injury involving a bus or a taxi.  The service might be run by a city, state, private company, or other third party.  There might be issues involving the statute of limitations, the at-fault party or parties, or the claim process itself.  It might seem almost impossible just to figure out what to do next?

If you (or someone you love) have been injured in a bus or train accident, your first move should be a call to the Advocates Law.  We have years of experience with this type of accident, and we can help.

Our attorneys are available 24/7 to answer your questions.

Call the Advocates at 801-326-0809 today – The call is always free.

Call Now