What Should I Do If I Had an Accident Injury in Another State?

If you had an accident injury while on vacation or a business trip it can be a real bummer. Always protect yourself, and follow the same steps post-accident that you would if you had gotten in an accident at home.

Always Report the Accident

I give this advice a lot, but it is always true. Any time you are in an accident, report it to the police. Every state in the United States has police. You may not trust them like you would police officers from your own city, but they are the authority where you are. Reporting the accident protects you from undue liability and allows you to get your ducks in a row for your insurance claim. In addition, when you report an accident in an unfamiliar city law enforcement personnel may be able to help you get a medical treatment and alternate transportation.

Call Your Insurance Company

You are most likely required by your insurance policy to report any car accidents within 24 hours. If you want your insurance company to cover your claim, you should always comply with these provisions. Your insurance policy should cover you and your car any place you can drive your vehicle, but always check with your insurance agent. If you are concerned about possible accidents while you are on a trip, you can check your coverage beforehand.

Go to the Doctor for Your Accident Injury

The Advocates always recommend that anyone involved in an accident see a medical provider the same day as the accident. You may go to the hospital, to an urgent care facility or to your primary-care provider depending on the extent of your accident injury. The medical assessment taken directly after the accident can become a crucial piece of evidence in any personal injury claim.

When you are away from home, it may be harder to get to the doctor because you do not know the city and the healthcare system. Ask the officer at the scene of the accident for a recommendation because you should still be evaluated by a medical professional after any accident.

Contact an Attorney

If you have suffered an accident injury, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced personal injury attorney at the Advocates should be able to tell you during your first appointment whether or not you have a good case and what your claim might be worth. Consultations are free, and attorneys are available 24-7 to answer your questions.

If you were injured in another state, you may be wondering which state’s laws will govern your claim. It depends on the situation. Contact an attorney you know or have heard about in your hometown. He or she can listen to your story and tell you if you need to find another attorney in another state or that he or she can handle your claim where you are. Do not make the assumption that you are not entitled to compensation if you are injured away from home. A good attorney can help you navigate the process no matter the locale.