Sunday night, around 6:00 p.m., a man was critically injured after his sedan struck a van in a head-on collision. The accident occurred on 300 West on 600 South in the downtown area. According to KUTV.com, the man driving the sedan left a parking lot, going west on 600 South in the eastbound lane. 600 South is a one-way street. The sedan hit a van heading the other direction head-on. The sedan had enough speed that the van rolled over and caught fire. Fortunately, everyone in the van escaped without an injury. The driver of the sedan was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
We hope the man who was taken to the hospital can make a full recovery. Although the precise reasons for the accident are still unknown, generally speaking, one-streets can be difficult to navigate even for the savviest drivers, especially when the driver is not familiar with the area. Any accident is an unfortunate event, and every appropriate measure should be taken to prevent such a terrible event. Because the person was leaving from a parking lot, it would have been difficult to know that the street was one-way. Again, we do not know what could have prevented this accident, and the tips contained in this article are not meant to apply to this accident specifically. Even following the tips in this article are not necessarily a guarantee in preventing an accident. However, generally speaking, we have some general tips for learning how to navigate a new city with one-way streets.
- Check for signs. The traffic app, Waze, says that street signs are one of the best ways to determine the direction of a street. If a street is one way, there is almost always a sign at an intersection designating that it is one way.
- The one way is one of the most recognizable signs. It is black, white and has a rectangular arrow pointing the direction of traffic.
- Some intersections will have a sign on the same level as the stop lights that indicates that a one way is beginning. It will usually have the words, “Begin One Way.”
- Usually, freeway entrances and other locations will have a Do Not Enter sign. This sign is square with a red circle and white lettering. It is typically placed at a location where someone could turn onto the one-way going in the wrong direction.
- If there is a stop sign on one side of a street, this can be a helpful hint that the street is not one-way. If a street is one-way, stop signs will usually be placed on both sides of the road.
- Check for other indicators such as painted street lines.
- Usually, the direction of a street will be indicated by arrows painted on the street
- The direction of parked cars can also be a helpful hint. If there are cars parked in the opposite direction on the other side of the road, this indicates that the road is a two-way street.
- Use a navigation app
- Navigation apps on your smartphone are usually very good at helping people avoid pitfalls on one-way streets. This information is already programmed into the app.
- Check a map
- Plotting your trip in advance can have numerous advantages, one of which is familiarizing yourself with the one-way streets in a certain city or town.
- Watch other cars
- If you are unsure, it is better to wait and be sure than to be sorry. Turn on your hazard lights and watch for other cars, if you only see cars traveling in one direction, that might indicate to follow the way they are going. Although this should be a last resort, it can be helpful.
At The Advocates, we want to help you be safe. Knowing how to properly identify one-way streets can help make you a better driver and help you stay safe.