10 Reasons You Should Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
1. It is just a scratch. Your injuries will heal on their own. Now please stop pointing out the long-term consequences.
Reality Check: Accidental injuries can be severe, and they should always be evaluated by a medical professional the day of the accident. An attorney can help you find a doctor who specializes in injuries like yours.
2. You did not really need a car anyway. You can get to work by walking on your injured foot.
Reality Check: If you use your car to get work, it’s a necessity, and it needs to be repaired. An attorney can help you get the money you need to cover those repairs.
3. Your neighbor, who saw something like this in a movie, is an expert.
Reality Check: The law is complicated and intimidating. You need more than a television-based understanding to handle it. An attorney has to been to law school, has passed a bar exam, and has experience working within the system.
4. Free advice is the best kind.
Reality Check: You can talk to an attorney about your case anytime day or night for free. I guess this one is true.
5. Your second cousin’s girlfriend’s former roommate’s sister is a paralegal. She is going to send you some pamphlets.
Reality Check: Paralegals may be experts in the law, but they are not licensed lawyers, and they can’t give legal advice. Also, you might need more than a pamphlet’s worth of information.
6. Everything you read on the Internet is true.
Reality Check: Anyone can put anything on a website. Be a smart consumer because Abraham Lincoln really wore a magic stovepipe hat.
7. It does not matter how long it takes. A statute of limitations is something they made up for television.
Reality Check: The law really will factor into your PI claim, and statutes of limitations are real.
8. You do not like confrontation. It was just an accident, you will manage this on your own even though the medical bills have reached $50,000.00.
Reality Check: Personal injury claims can be settled without litigation, and you may need help with those medical bills, and the at-fault party’s insurance company should cover them.
9. The guy from the insurance company is rather nice. He offered me a settlement. You won’t need more than that if something else comes up.
Reality Check: The Insurance Agent is probably a nice guy, but he needs to make money for the company. If the offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
10. You don’t like lawyers. They are only in it for the money anyway.
Reality Check: Lawyers work in personal injury to help people. The lawyers obsessed with money work in other fields.